Welcome to the VyOS project, a Linux-based network operating system.
VyOS is a community fork of Vyatta, a Linux-based network operating system that provides software-based network routing, firewall, and VPN functionality.
How it's different from other router distros?
- Unified command line interface in the style of hardware routers.
- Scriptable CLI
- Stateful configuration system: prepare changes and commit at once or discard, view previous revisions or rollback to them, archive revisions to remote server, execute hooks at commit time...
- Image-based upgrade: keep multiple versions on the same system and revert to previous image if something went wrong.
- Not just firewall and VPN: includes routing protocols such as BGP and OSPF and complex routing policy language.
- Runs on physical and virtual platforms alike: small x86 boards, big servers, KVM, Xen, VMWare, Hyper-V...
- Completely free and open source, with documented internal APIs and build procedures.
- Community driven: patches are welcome, all code, bugs, and nightly builds are public.
What can it do?
See the feature list.
What it looks like?
Here's a command line session example.
Get the Software
Current stable release: VyOS 1.1.7 (Helium)
Read about the versioning scheme.
- Physical and virtual 64-bit: 
- Legacy hardware 32-bit: 
- VMWare OVA: 
- Virtual 32-bit:  (DEPRECATED)
Which image should I use?
- 64-bit physical machines: amd64.
- Virtual platforms (KVM, Xen, VMWare, Hyper-V): amd64 (drivers and tools included!).
- Legacy 32-bit machines without PAE: i586.
i586 image kernel is built without PAE support so it works on older CPUs often found in small embedded boards.
Upgrading from previous versions or Vyatta Core
Check out the upgrade instructions.
Amazon is a popular public cloud service where you can run your VMs and create private networks.
A beta version is available: 1.2.0-beta1 (lithium)
Download the beta version: http://dev.packages.vyos.net/iso/preview/1.2.0-beta1/
Please send us feedback if you find any bugs!
You can verify the build signature against our public key.
VyOS images are hosted on multiple mirrors for better availability.
- Development roadmap and progress: Lithium