Welcome to the VyOS project, a Linux-based network operating system.
VyOS is a Linux-based network operating system that provides software-based network routing, firewall, and VPN functionality.
How it's different from other router distros?
- Unified command line interface in the style of hardware routers.
- Scriptable CLI
- Stateful configuration system: prepare changes and commit at once or discard, view previous revisions or rollback to them, archive revisions to remote server, execute hooks at commit time...
- Image-based upgrade: keep multiple versions on the same system and revert to previous image if something went wrong.
- Not just firewall and VPN: includes routing protocols such as BGP and OSPF and complex routing policy language.
- Runs on physical and virtual platforms alike: small x86 boards, big servers, KVM, Xen, VMWare, Hyper-V...
- Completely free and open source, with documented internal APIs and build procedures.
- Community driven: patches are welcome, all code, bugs, and nightly builds are public.
What can it do?
See the feature list.
What it looks like?
Here's a command line session example.
VyOS uses Phabricator to coordinate development activities.