Welcome to the VyOS project, a Linux-based network operating system.
VyOS is a Linux-based network operating system that provides software-based network routing, firewall, and VPN functionality.
How it's different from other router distros?
- Unified command line interface in the style of hardware routers.
- Scriptable CLI
- Stateful configuration system: prepare changes and commit at once or discard, view previous revisions or rollback to them, archive revisions to remote server, execute hooks at commit time...
- Image-based upgrade: keep multiple versions on the same system and revert to previous image if something went wrong.
- Not just firewall and VPN: includes routing protocols such as BGP and OSPF and complex routing policy language.
- Runs on physical and virtual platforms alike: small x86 boards, big servers, KVM, Xen, VMWare, Hyper-V...
- Completely free and open source, with documented internal APIs and build procedures.
- Community driven: patches are welcome, all code, bugs, and nightly builds are public.
What can it do?
See the feature list.
What it looks like?
Here's a command line session example.
Wiki needs your contributions!
If everyone reading this page documented just one command, VyOS would have complete user documentation
by next morning.
Registration and editing is open for everyone, you do not need to request access. Just create an account
and start editing right away.
Read the formatting guide to learn the wiki syntax.
Click on any red link in the user documentation or create new page.
The most straightforward way to expand the wiki is to rewrite the old VC6.5 documentation, since VyOS remains
backwards-compatible with VC6.5. However, do not copy anything verbatim from it, since it's not under a free license,
write in your own words.
Lot of usefull data is already present in existing pages. All it needs is to be refactored in the user documentation.
You can also document specific setup and use cases, and add examples of configuring VyOS to interact with other systems,
such as those from the Interoperability category.
Get the Software
Current stable release: VyOS 1.1.8 (Helium)
Read about the versioning scheme.
Upgrading from previous versions or Vyatta Core
Check out the upgrade instructions.
The official AMI is available, starting at $64/year per instance: VyOS on AWS Marketplace
You can also build your own AMI from the ISO image using these scripts: vyos/build-ami
Please send us feedback if you find any bugs!
You can verify the build signature against our public key.
VyOS images are hosted on multiple mirrors for better availability.
VyOS uses Phabricator to coordinate development activities.