Op mode words
From VyOS Wiki
Top level operational mode words use should be standardized to avoid confusion about their effect.
Back then at Vyatta there was a lengthy discussion about it that led to the following scheme:
- clear should be used for non-disruptive operations.
- reset should be used for disruptive operations that don't stop service completely.
- restart should be used for operations that stop service completely and bring it back.
- Clearing interface counters. Doesn't affect operations, should be "clear".
- Restarting a BGP session. Takes the session, but not the whole BGP process down temporarily, should be "reset".
- Restarting web proxy. The system ceases to serve any proxy requests temporarily, should be "restart".